Pumpkin Risotto: Vegan and Gluten-free recipe

Love cooking and baking with pumpkin? 
I do although, I must admit, I don't do it as often as I'd like.
In all honesty, I don't cook much since I started writing novels and memoirs.
My mind is occupied with stories. I wish I could say that I am as slim as a model because of not cooking, but I am not 'cause I sit all day long eating cookies and drinking coffee.
If my mom would know this, she will freak out so badly!
I cook since I was 6, I own 6 recipes' blogs and wrote 15 recipes books, but I don't eat anymore.
I don't have time, that's the honest truth.
Please don't tell my mom. She's a sweet octogenarian that I love very much.

Pumpkin risotto vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.


The recipe I am presenting today, especially for vegans, vegetarians, gluten intolerants and rice lovers, is inspired by the famous Italian recipe: "risotto con zucca".

If I never told you, I lived in Italy for 10 years (wrote Ten Years in Italy, Three Weeks a Human: A Memoir), and used to work in restaurants learned from some of the best Italian chefs.
That's why today I am a proud risotto maker.
I mean, I make absolutely delicious risottos 'cause I am an expert.
Modesty... where are you?  


Please, forgive me for the bad, ugly pictures. They don't give this food justice.
They are old as the recipe was first published on http://reteteindraznete.blogspot.co.uk.

Practical advice

  • Please don't use Venere (black/wild) or integral risotto unless you really like these type of grains. If you do, keep in mind that black and integral risotto needs between 40-60 minutes to be ready. 


  • Don't use jasmine, Thai or basmati (long) rice. These types of grain are not good for risottos. The grain has to be fat (round) and thick. 


Degree of difficulty: low-medium (depending on your cooking skills)
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes. Do you like your rice to be al dente?
Servings: 2

Ingredients
  • 350 - 400 g of rice - arborio, roma (round and thick) 
  • 1 slice of cooking pumpkin @150 - 200 g 
  • 1 yellow onion or shallot 
  • 1 clove of garlic or 1/4 tsp of garlic powder 
  • 1/2 tsp of curry
  • 2 tbsps of olive oil - or the one you fancy
  • a pinch of salt
  • approx 300 ml of hot water or soup
  • If you want, add 20 ml of white or red wine - your choice. And it's not really a must. You can skip it. The taste would be just a tiny bit different. I promise you can survive without it.
If you're not vegan and eat cheese, prepare:
  • 2 tbsps of Grana Padano, Parmigiano Reggiano, grated cheddar, mozzarella or any cheese you fancy, plus 1 tbs of butter. 
I added none this time because mine it's a vegan variant.  
But I tried it before with cheese, and it's lush!  

Pumpkin risotto vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.



Method of Preparation
  • Peel the onion and the garlic. 
  • Crush the garlic, or chop it as finely as possible. 
  • Chop the onion as you like. 
  • Peel the pumpkin, cut it in small dices (@1 cm)
  • Put the oil in a pan - heat it - add the garlic and the onion, stir for a minute. If you add garlic powder, you will do so at the very end. It doesn't need to cook. 
Pumpkin risotto vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.
  • Add the pumpkin. Stir energetically. Give it 5 minutes to cook/fry. Don't burn it! 
Pumpkin risotto vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.
  • Add the rice, stir. 
  • If you add wine, now is the time. Pour it, stir until evaporates 
  • Add boiling water enough to cover the rice. 

Advice valid for any rice/risotto' recipe
Please don't add all the water at once. Especially if you are a beginner. There are many types of rice, I can't tell you with precision how much water is enough. Some suck (bloody vampires!) a lot of water, others not so much - jasmine, basmati, precooked rice for example. You will check the rice, then add another bit of water and so on until it's ready. It's just a matter of practice. If you pour too much water from the start, it becomes a soup. It's not a big deal. It's actually great. 

  • After adding water, cover the pan with a lid and fix the flame to minimum. Leave for 7 minutes then check and stir. 

Heads up! 
This is not something an Italian would do. 
However, this method (my method) saves you at least 5 minutes of cooking. Saving 5 minutes of cooking means saving gas, electricity and... time! 

  • After proximately 7 minutes of slow cooking, check and add more water if needed. 
How much is more? 
4 - 5 tbsp? 
Depends on how crunchy you want your rice to be. I like it "al dente". 

  • Cover again, leave for 5 minutes and check again until it's ready
  • Stop the fire and serve hot with grated cheese and butter or not. 
I promise it's a recipe to die for... as all my recipes. 
Yep. I am not fond of fake modesty. 

Just kidding. 
I sometimes make the most... bleah! recipes that not even starving dogs would eat. 
not this time though. This is a great recipe. 

***
If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action.
As you might know - or have guessed - I am an indie author in terrible need of support.
Visit my Amazon.com profile to check my romance novels, self-help books, memoirs, inspirational and motivational stories. 

Give and it shall be given to you. 
Like, comment and share the love.
May the universe be always on your side. 


Look how good I am at drawing and carving. 
Right? 
Ha, ha, ha. I am absolutely and utterly untalented. But I tried. 

Pumpkin risotto vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.

No comments

If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action.
Like, comment and share the love.

As you might know - or have guessed due to the book covers on the side - I am an indie author in need of support.
Visit and follow me on social networks and blogs.
I am everywhere because I work night and day to promote my work and fulfil my dream.

Give and it shall be given to you.

May the universe be always on your side.