Crispy potatoes with beans - Vegan and gluten-free recipe by Cristina G.

This is another variant of one of my favorite recipes ever
Some time back, I published another one: fried-grated-potatoes-with-lentils.

I have loads of vegan and gluten intolerants so this is for them, but also for potato lovers like you, and me.  

On a budget recipe for everyone. Vegans or not. 
I am not vegan but most of my recipes are vegetarian or vegan. I don't know why. 
I love animals but I am not against people who eat them and companies that sell meat. 
What I am against is the inhumanity with which some beings treat animals. 
I am against torture, abuse and killing creatures for fun. 
Kill if you're hungry if you must. 
I am sad to say that when I have some friends who are hunters. They are also good people so I cannot be upset with them. 
But they eat what they kill. 

Anyway, veganism or not-veganism is a choice. One should respect it and never impose it on others. 
It's not fair.
Yes, I know, nothing is fair, yet "Don't do unto others what you don't like being done unto you." 
Follow the golden rule every step of your way in this world.

Sorry, but for this recipe, I don't have pictures. I've taken loads but deleted them by mistake.
This is the only one left.
Please, refer to this other recipe for the steps in pictures as they are exactly the same.


Preparation time: 15-25 minutes – depending on your cooking skills
Degree of difficulty: low – as above
Serves: 2 people

Ingredients:
  • 5 medium-sized red potatoes. White could do too, excludes sweet potatoes 
  • 1 can of red beans - 300 g 
  • 3 + 2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (I use olive oil)
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of black pepper
  • a pinch of dried garlic                                                              
Optional but very recommended:
  • paprika/chili (I always add it because I like spicy). Chili peppers are aphrodisiac and help with the digestion and blood circulation. 
  • grated cheese – If you are not vegan – You'll add this at the very end, when the potatoes are on the plate, still hot.

 Method of preparation:
  • Open the can, drain the beans. Wash and drain them again. 
  • Coarsely grate (on the large holes of a box grater) the potatoes and season them (salt and black pepper). - You don't need to peel them, but in Romania, it's unthinkable not to peel the potatoes. We give the skin to the pigs. :D 
  • Heat half the fat in a small, heavy-based frying pan until sizzling, add the lentils without water. Stir and leave 2 minutes - or until the remaining water evaporated. 
  • Add the grated potatoes, and some salt, stir until the beans mixed very well with the potatoes. Allow cooking for 5-6 minutes (until golden). 
  • Turn it over using a big plate or the lid (have a look at this video – It is in Romanian, and it's a frittata, but you can see the "moves"). 
  • Add the rest of the oil to the pan, slide the potato cake (yes, it will look like a frittata or a cake) back into the pan the other way up. Cook for another 5-7 minutes. 
  • Slide onto a big plate without breaking it, add the dried garlic (the grated cheese), serve hot or cold with pickles (Romanian style) or any salad.


This could also be served with fried eggs and any type of meat or fish meal or, of course, plain simple.

So, so delicious. 

It warms you up from the inside. Like a good memory.

You need to try it!



***
If you enjoyed this recipe (or idea), please take positive action.
As you might know - or have guessed - I am an indie author in terrible need of support.
Visit my Amazon profile to check my romance novels, self-help books, memoirs, inspirational and motivational stories.

Give and it shall be given to you.
Like, comment and share the love. 
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. 

May the universe be always on your side.

No comments

If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action.
Like, comment and share the love.

As you might know - or have guessed due to the book covers on the side - I am an indie author in need of support.
Visit and follow me on social networks and blogs.
I am everywhere because I work night and day to promote my work and fulfil my dream.

Give and it shall be given to you.

May the universe be always on your side.