Pasta e fagioli - Vegan recipe for brave people

I am sure you've heard of pasta e fagioli.
If you haven't, this is a famous Italian recipe, famous mostly in the Southern areas of the Michelangelo's country. I lived in Italy for 10 years, but I never tried there. I did not visit the South of Italy. What a shame! I heard is the best looking side of Italy.
What's done is done though. Moving on.

I must tell you that this is not the original Italian recipe - I wouldn't publish it on my blog if it was. It's not my place. I am not Italian.
This is a personal interpretation of the famous Italian recipe and it's to die for. Really.

You might think that I say this about all my recipes - ha, ha, - but it's not true.
All it is true because all my recipes are to die for. What I meant is that I don't think every meal I eat is good. Not at all. 
Unfortunately, I almost never eat out or to someone else's house. I cook and I eat my food.
If I don't like it, you will never see that meal on my blog.
No. I wouldn't want to poison you.
I would never do that.
But if I am publishing recipes, it means they weren't poisonous so I didn't die.
Unless this is my spirit.
Uuuuuuuuu. (ghost sounds).

Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.


Degree of difficulty: low-medium (depending on your cooking skills)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Servings: 3-4

Ingredients:
  • 200 g of small shaped pasta - like in the image or similar
Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.

  • 1 can of red beans = 300 g (?)
Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.

  • 1 yellow onion. Or red, white, shallots
  • 3 cups of hot water/soup (200 ml one = 1)- depending on how liquid (thick) you want to have it. I would suggest you first add 2 cups, then wait to see if it's how you like it, then add others. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt (depending on your taste)
  • Optional: 1 teaspoon of dried thyme or savory (English?) or a few leaves if it's fresh. - I wouldn't make any soup without thyme. It's my favorite herb ever, and I am emotionally attached to it. If you decide not to add it, the taste will change a lot, but it will still be delicious.
  • Optional: 1/5 teaspoon of paprika (chili)



Method of preparation: 


  • Open the can, wash the beans and drain them. 


  • Prepare a pot or saucepan of the size you desire/have, add the oil.
  • Mince the onion and put it in the pot, leave it for 2 minutes, very slow cook. 
Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.
  • Pour the hot water, add beans and the pasta, cover. 
Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.

  •  Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. 
Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.
  • Add salt, taste it, add more salt and paprika if you desire. Ready.
  • Serve it hot or cold with toast, fresh garlic bread, croutons, any type of bread if you want. I would recommend serving it on its own - no bread crackers. It's absolutely delicious.

Mentions
  • Every ingredient may be replaced with whatever you like. This statement is valid for any of my recipes unless stated otherwise. If you don't like peppers, don't add any.
  • I added some cabbage on this one. But I always add or take ingredients to this recipe. Sometimes I add peas, chickpeas, lentils, and so on. The sky is the limit.
  • Please don't eliminate the onion, that's what gives it a special flavor. 
  • Do your best to add thyme, I am sure you'll like it.
  • If you cook for more people, double the quantities, and vice-versa. 
  • For a vegan, vegetarian version of every recipe, just eliminate the meat/pork (This has no meat). The taste will change, for sure, but it will still be delicious. I have tried all my meat recipes in a vegan version, and I was delighted. 




***
If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action. Like, comment and share the love.
As you might know - or have guessed - I am an indie author in terrible need of support.
Visit my Amazon.com profile to see my books.

Give and it shall be given to you.

May the universe be always on your side.

Pasta e fagioli-comfort vegan meal-recipe by Cristina G.

No comments

If you enjoyed this recipe or idea, please take positive action.
Like, comment and share the love.

As you might know - or have guessed due to the book covers on the side - I am an indie author in need of support.
Visit and follow me on social networks and blogs.
I am everywhere because I work night and day to promote my work and fulfil my dream.

Give and it shall be given to you.

May the universe be always on your side.